This one-day workshop aimed to capture, compare and contrast the latest evidence and policy perspectives on International Students in the UK and Italy to inform ongoing policy development in these important areas of migration policy. This was a European Migration Network UK event, co-hosted by Home Office Science and Middlesex University.
The conference report can be downloaded from here: International Students in the UK and Italy: latest evidence and policy perspectives. Event Report.
Morning session – Chair: Chris Attwood
- 9:45 – 10:15: Coffee
- 10:15 – 10:30: Introduction – Professor Eleonore Kofman and Jon Simmons
Session One – 10:30 to 11:30 Patterns of international student migration to the UK
- 10.35 – 10.55: Current data on student migration to the UK: Jon Simmons
- 10.55 – 11.15: Current policy on student migration to the UK: Christian Delaney
- 11.15 – 11.30: Discussion
- 11:30 – 11:45: Coffee
Session Two – 11:45 to 12:45: Patterns of international student migration to Italy
- 11.50 – 12.10: Current data on student migration to Italy: Antonio Ricci/ Marta Giuliani
- 12.10 – 12.30: Current policy on student migration to Italy: Prof Stefania Giannini
- 12.30 – 12.45: Discussion
- 12:45 – 14:00: Lunch
Afternoon Session – Chairs: Professor Eleonore Kofman/ Jon Simmons/ Alessio D’Angelo
- The value of students, Professor Rachel Brooks, University of Surrey
- What works to attract students, Dr Adam Warren, Loughborough University
- Student non-compliance, Dr Chris Attwood, Home Office
14:00 to 14:50: Workshop One
14:50 to 15:00: Coffee – take on to Workshop Two
15:00 to 15:50: Workshop Two
15:50 to 16:15: Summary of workshop feedback and Close.
This conference was organised by Chris Attwood and Timothy Angus from Home Office Science, and Professor Eleonore Kofman and Alessio D’Angelo from Middlesex University, with the support of Magdolna Lorinc.